How to apply for housing
Stevenage Homes has a list of people who have applied for Council or RSL housing called the Housing Register. You can apply to join the Housing Register as long as you are at least 16 years old, unless:
- You are subject to current immigration control
- You have deliberately given false or misleading information or withheld relevant information in connection with your application
- Stevenage Homes is satisfied that you, or a member of your household who is included in your application, is guilty of unacceptable behaviour which is serious enough to make him or her unsuitable to be a tenant.
How to apply
If you wish to apply to join the Housing Register you should complete and return an application form, which you can download below. If you are a current tenant of Stevenage Homes or another Registered Social Landlord in Stevenage and you want to be considered for a transfer to another property you must also apply to join the Housing Register.
Along with your application form, you will also need to provide proof of circumstances for all applicants named on the form. If all the proofs needed are not submitted with your application form, the form and proofs will be returned to you. You should then ensure that all the necessary proofs are enclosed before you re-submit your application. You will need to enclose proof of the following:
- Identity, for all people included in your application
- Residence, for the applicant and co-applicant if applicable
- Disposal of any properties previously owned (and any equity you may have received from their disposal)
Where applicable, before you are considered for an offer of accommodation, you will also be required to provide proof of:
- Current Tenancy
- Contact arrangements with children from a previous relationship
- Employment, if this is your local connection
If you are updating an existing Housing Register application, you will also be required to provide proofs as above for any new applicant being added to the application.
Acceptable forms of proof
Original documents only are acceptable. We strongly advise you to bring your application form and proofs into the Customer Service Centre where your original documents will be photocopied and returned to you immediately. If you cannot attend in person you can send documents by post. However, we must stress that we cannot be responsible for your original documents. For details of what proofs are acceptable to us, please look at this form:
- Housing Register Proofs List
Seeking medical priority for re-housing
If you or a permanent member of your household have a diagnosed, recognised physical or mental health condition which is permanent or near permanent, AND you can demonstrate that your present housing is having a long term adverse affect on your/their health that can only be improved by re-housing, you can request an assessment for additional priority on medical grounds by completing this form:
For more information regarding the Housing Allocations Scheme please use the links below:
Alternatively, you can contact us with any queries on 01438 242666