About Direct Debits
If you have a bank or building society, Direct Debit is a cheaper, more convenient way of paying your bills automatically. Once you have completed a form, the rest of the work is done by us. We ask your bank or building society for your rent instalment each month so you don't to have to worry about remembering to pay it.
What are the benefits?
- You don't have to remember to pay every month
- No queues at banks or post offices
- No cost of a phone call when you make your payments
- No cheques to write, or cash to carry
- Protection through the Direct Debit Guarantee
- A choice of payment dates – 1st, 8th 15th or 22nd of the month
How does it work?
Once your bank or building society have accepted that a Direct Debit can be paid from your account, we ask them for the instalment amount each month. We then do all the work.
We notify you of your payments for the year, i.e. amounts and dates, at least 10 days before the first payment is due to come out of your bank or building society account. We will tell you about any changes to your payments at least 10 days before your next payment is due. The 10 day period allows you enough time to query or (if required) cancel your Direct Debit.
Do many people pay by this method?
Yes! Almost 32 million people in Great Britain now use Direct Debit with the average household paying 6 bills by this method.
Why should I change the way I pay my rent?
From the beginning of July 2013, we have increased the number of days you can pay your rent via Direct Debit from two to four. We now offer payment dates on the 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd of every month. 47.4% of the respondents to our Welfare Reform Survey in November 2012 advised that they would be interested in paying via Direct Debit when Universal Credit is introduced
Are there any guarantees?
Yes! Paying your rent by Direct Debit guarantees you an immediate refund if we ever did make an error. You are free to cancel at any time, and you will be advised at least 10 days in advance of any changes.
The Direct Debit Guarantee is shown below and explains exactly what control and protection you have over the Direct Debit.
How do I set up a Direct Debit?
It's easy. You can download a form using the link below:
Completed forms should be either brought to our Customer Service Centre or posted to:
Herts SG1 1HN
You can also phone us on 01438 242666 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a form, to make changes to an existing Direct Debit or if you have any further questions
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- This Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that take part in the Direct Debit Scheme. The efficiency and security of the scheme is monitored and protected by your own bank or building society
- If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, Stevenage Homes will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited, or as otherwise agreed
- If an error is made by Stevenage Homes or by your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid
- You can cancel your Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. It is important that you let us know if you cancel your Direct Debit